Thursday 5 February 2009

Not In My Name

When I heard the news this evening I was shocked, the report was saying that America had threatened to stop sharing intelligence if details of Torture and details became known in a court case here in Britain. It was the comments by a very senior judge that had triggered the story.
While I realise that this is the legacy of the previous president, it is still shocking that the US could and would threaten to leave Britain vulnerable to terrorist activity by excluding us from the loop. All to stop the political embarrassment of a former president that is an embarrassment.

While I understand that following 9/11 people wanted revenge and that there was a need to try and stop further attacks. But it should not have been at any cost. Under Bush America risked becoming the unprincipled bully that it was being accused of being. Extraordinary Rendition (Kidnapping), Water Boarding (Torture), and other unlawful practices only serve to aid the warped minds that are capable of mass murder in the name of their Ideology.

I don’t know if the US will change their decision now there is a new president, regarding the disclosure of secret documents. But that the former US Government could or would threaten such a close friend is the sign of a bully.

To my American friends and readers I say, I think that the US needs to be open and honest about what it has done in your Name. Not that I think that Britain is clean and untainted, as I am sure that we are culpable and guilty of doing unlawful things. To my government I say Not In My Name!




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am an American who has lived abroad for more than 20 years, and I can assure you that never before had I felt anything like the intense shame and embarrassment that I felt during the Bush years. Give Obama a bit more time. He hasn't even been there a month yet and has his hands more than full. He is making a good start. Best, Tenney

Anonymous said...

HI Woodmouse,
American left itself vulnerable to terrorist activity by practicing it.
Britain will be all right. You have M1, which may or may not have as bloody hands as the CIA; and Britain can contact other groups for their news.
When you consider that the last Administration ignored intelligence briefs that did not mesh with their delusional picture of the world ("We create history, you just report it") this isn't much of a loss.
Unfortunately I believe that the British government has a long history of doing precisely the same sort of things the American one did: torture people while piously claiming not to.

Anonymous said...

Hi Mouse,

If memory serves correctly, Obama's pick for AG, Halder, was under pressure to agree not to prosecute those who had a hand in promoting extreme interrogation methods. He refused to agree, and was still confirmed...so there is hope the new administration will not sweep the horrors under the rug, so to speak. Tree.