Wednesday 11 February 2009

Leader of the Pack?

This morning I was out early in the wood again but I had to contend with a stray dog. I was not sure if it had been abandoned or had just run off from its human. While I looked for someone and the dog followed me quite happily, I started to think that the dog had been abandoned.

Therefore, while I was able to enjoy an interesting walk, with this dog in tow, I was not able to get the camera out. I kept returning to where I had found the dog, or should that be where she found me? But I could see no one. While she was quite playful, she was very obedient. This made me think that she had been abandoned.

So I was able to do a bit of bird watching. I saw the charm (I think that’s a lovely name for them) of Goldfinches again, but even had I been able to film, they were too distant. I also had a nice long view of a pair of Jays. It really does appear that the birds are pairing up for spring. I just wish the weather was pointing towards spring.

I also spotted a fox wandering in the undergrowth. I did stop to get the camera out and the dog sat and watched me. However as I was setting up, I heard a woman calling. The dog pricked up its ears, and looked at me as she was asking if she could go and look. The fox already was running off.

The dog came running back to me and now there were a man's and a woman’s voice calling the dog. At the man’s voice, the dog was obviously shaking. I saw the couple and I called to say I had their dog. She was grateful but he seemed annoyed with the dog. I was not sure if I had done the right thing, but the woman was amazed that the dog was so well behaved with me, she told the man that it must be you that frightens the dog off.

They took the dog and I was sad to see the dog go as she was a lovely little dog. On the way home I spotted one of the Red Kites in the distance.

On the subject of Raptors, here’s an interesting link to the Sea Eagle story that I mentioned yesterday, it has a lovely clip of film too.



1 comment:

tree ocean said...

Interesting story about the dog. I have read a couple other stories about animals the last few days-the koala with burnt paws who stopped when pursued by an Australian firefighter and then sat up and drank out of a water bottle. Then I just read about a deer that ran into a Petsmart store and they called a vet, who fixed a tear in its leg with dissolvable sutures and then it ran back into the woods...