Wednesday 4 February 2009

Birds in Snow

You will not have failed to notice that there has been some snow. Around the world Britain must have looked like a bunch of wimps with no busses at all running in London, thousands of schools closed. Even though the south of Britain was hit hard, locally in the North East and in my village, people just got on with life. Even the horticultural staff from the local authority was part of the effort, and a John Deer Tractor was used to clear paths in the side streets and back lanes in the village.

Personally my biggest concern was the birds, as on Monday the snow just kept on falling. I put more seed out, scattering seeds on the snow, and keeping the water available. It paid off as while I did not see many birds, I saw a couple, but there were signs that the birds were taking advantage judging but the prints in the snow.

When the snow stopped, it was then that the birds started really coming in. Every time I looked out of the window, I would see at least one bird. I don’t know if it was the lack of camouflage that the snow provides, but the birds were much more nervous than normal. That said I did get some great footage of a sparrow shelling a sunflower seed, in glorious close up. Once I can afford to buy the Video editing software...

Personally, I went into hibernation, and only did what I had to do and avoided the problems the snow caused. But today, I had to go into Consett. As it’s at a higher elevation, the snow had been deeper and it was like walking on sheets of Ice in places. That said again people were coping.

Following doing what I had to, I stopped for a coffee and toast. In the Cafe was a gentleman from my village that I will often see out for a walk. He is in his late seventies, and even though he struggles to walk, he needs a stick and has to shuffle at times, every day he goes for a walk in the Forest. So I sat and talked to him in the cafe.

Even with the snow, he had still been out for his daily walk. He had been a miner, and he needs to do this otherwise the poor health he now suffers as a result of his former occupation would have an even greater effect on him. I hope that if ever I reach his age I can do as much as he can and have the same determination.

While talking the question came up regarding coal. As a retired miner he would be entitled to a coal allowance as part of his pension. As the village has only in recent years been connected to the gas network, which was essential for many of the former miners that still live in the village. But now most homes are heated by gas so the miners get cash payment in lieu of the coal. However, it was the winter of 1963 that dominated the conversation. I could not add much to the discussion as that was the year I was born so I was stuck in my cot. During that winter the snow drifts were so deep that they covered the bus stop, and people had to dig tunnels through the snow to get out of their own front doors. People just did it, coped and more importantly helped each other.

However, it was one aspect that interested me most. The folks in retired miner’s cottages got together so that they could save coal. Three or four would collect in one cottage share the warmth and cook for each other and generally help ensure that everyone was safe, warm and fed.

When that 1963 winter ended, there was a group that continued doing this. This had the general added benefit that these pensioners saved money. Not just as each burnt less coal, but by sharing meals and the cooking, they made saving there too. I know that there is still that sprit in the village among many. I think we can all benefit from that sprit today.


No comments: