Thursday 12 February 2009

Birds and Friends

One of the jobs that I had to do today was get some more food for the birds. With the snow and temperatures bellow zero, I have used more than I normally do. Most importantly I needed some Meal Worms as in the cold weather; this can be a vital resource for the insectivorous birds.

I also had some other shopping to do, so I went into Consett, but it was late afternoon. Therefore when I went into the pet shop to get the Meal worms there were a bunch of giggly silly school girls in there. I asked for what I needed and I had to contend with these girls going yuck and screaming when they saw my purchase. I have never understood this type of silly behaviour.

I got the other bits and pieces I needed and I still had forty minutes before the bus back. Because I was late in to town, I could not even go for a coffee as all the cafes were closed or closing. Therefore I just had to wait at the bus station. I think that because of these girls I was feeling a little irritated by the behaviour of many of the young people at the bus station. I have never liked to see people spitting, in fact I personally find it a disgusting habit, and where ever I looked all I could see was people spitting.

So I just retreated into myself and spent my time watching the birds. There are frequently gulls around feeding on the detritus of human living. It was fascinating to see just how they hover up the food we humans discard. And in the space of fifteen or twenty minutes I saw seven people, just throw half eaten food on the ground.

It is something that I can never understand is why people will throw rubbish away like this. I was feeling a little depressed. Then just before the bus came, a woman from the village said hello. She is someone that I would call a nodding acquaintance, I would say hello when I would see her but I have never really spoken to her. Anyway, when we got on the bus she came and sat next to me. As there were other free seats on the bus, I was rather surprised by this. Anyway we talked on the journey back to the village, but it was just general chat. When I reached my stop I said goodbye and went home.

As the first job I had do, was fill the bird feeders I was in the yard when this woman went past my back gate. I told her we must stop meeting like this or people start talking. Well let them talk was her reply. Then she asked me if I was doing anything for Valentine’s Day. Well a light breeze could have knocked me to the floor, but I told her that as I am single I was doing nothing. I also said that I had not realised that she was interested in me. That made her blush.

Anyway, over a cup of tea, it looks as though I have a date for Saturday. Just going for a drink but, it has all been rather unexpected. While she is very attractive, I really don’t think that we have much in common, but at least over a couple of drinks we can get to know each other.
It is curious that so many of the single women in the village seem to have an interest in me. While it is flattering, very few seem to have much of an interest in the same passions that I do though. So while it could be an interesting evening, I doubt that it will lead to anything more than friendship.

As I let her out, I saw one of the Red Kites gliding over and we both stood and watched it for two or three minutes. As she seemed as delighted to see it as I was, who knows...?

At least we both seem to share the disgust at the loutish behaviour of a minority of people.


No comments: