Wednesday 25 February 2009

Red Kites Lots of them

When I bought the Sony video camera, I knew they had a fault in the case and was cracked around the tripod bush. Even so, it was a surprise when it failed yesterday. I checked the camera over and everything else was still working properly so I did not want to lose the use of this camera. I had already given some thought to how to fix this problem; therefore I just needed to put their plan into action.

So this morning I went into Newcastle to see if I could obtain the parts that I needed to get the camera working. It was not as easy as I thought it would be, and finally I had to go to the metro centre, to get what I wanted.

As it had been my initial intention to get the parts as early as possible and returned home to do the repair so that I could go out towards dusk the delay in finding the parts terminated that plan, therefore I use my proximity to visit a location where the year previously I had seen some potentially useful locations for filming. Thus I went for a wander to these places. My timing was very accurate and I will be returning there in the next few days to film what I had hoped to see.

I then headed to Rowlands Gill to catch the bus. As I had just missed one I decided to stop in a tea shop there. As my regular reader will know I have a weakness for homemade cake. In this case it was at a delicious coffee and walnut cake that tempted me. I think it was Oscar Wilde, who said; “I can resist anything but temptation.”

The lovely woman that owns and runs the tea shop asked me if I had seen the kites, I had to tell her that I hadn’t not today at least she went on to tell me that normally one could be seen from the front of the shop. As Rowlands Gill is the heart of the red kites country, I could well believe that. As a bus stand was right outside the tea shop, I realised as I pushed my coat on that was my bus going past. I therefore knew that I had half an hour to wait. Within less than two minutes I witnessed the first sighting of the kites in the coming half hour.

Then for a gap in the buildings I continue to watch this kite for two or three minutes, when finally it had drifted out of sight had turned around and looked at above to see two more kites in the mating display flight. I watched in amazement as they performed their aerial acrobatics 10 or 15 feet above my head. I thought I had seen the last of that, as they collided over the roof tops and out of sight. Then to my delight I saw they had emerged between the gaps in the buildings and gained height and were continuing into display. Form when I was I could see the display continue for a good 5 minutes. Then again they disappeared from my view.

As well as vowing to return with the camera I did not think they could get any better than this. Then after about 10 minutes, I saw another two red kites appear from my left. I was not sure if these were the same Pair that had been displaying earlier so I looked to my right and to the gap in the buildings and saw the other pair was still there. Not only that but I third kite had joined them, with only a small town of my head I could see five of the red kites all gliding and soaring over the one location.8 what made the special was simply the clear view of the kites that I had. There are moments when I wish I had the camera with me and this most certainly was one of them. But I will return with a camera this was one of them. I will return and I just hope that I had the same luck or even half when I do.

As for the repair on the camera, I am sitting type in this as I await the glue to set. Whilst it may not look that neat, if it works the world have ensured that I can still use the camera.


No comments: