Tuesday 2 September 2008

Field Slug

As well as the problems of the day, I was able to edit together some film of a Field Slug. While I know that to most gardeners they are public enemy number one, but I find them fascinating. They can taste their food through their foot, their mating is a slow and elegant dance, and they change shape as they traverse the land.

As I also love seeing hedgehogs and hedgehogs eat slugs, then having them encourages the hedgehogs. It has only been in the last sixty or seventy years that there has been this war on slugs in the garden. Yet the chemicals in slug pellets do harm birds and other wildlife. I would rather have to wash off a few slugs than unseen chemical residues.

I hope the film doesn't revolt all my readers.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

slugs ate my pumpkins :-| (and the deer ate my beans, but at least they are cute and fuzzy ;) ) and, I might add, I have never stepped on a deer barefoot. :P Tree

Anonymous said...

I didn't know that hedgehogs ate slugs. Wow, some of those slugs must be bigger than the hedgehogs...

Slugs can be killed by leaving a shallow plate filled with beer near your plants. The slugs drink it, and die happy.

Maybe the hedgehogs would enjoy a drink with dinner, too.

I do think slugs can be beautiful.