Sunday 14 September 2008

Spiders and Badgers

I have been rather tired, as I have been busy searching for where the Badgers have relocated to. So I was not really looking forward to my task this morning. I had agreed to go to a location that is under threat from development. In the past there were records of a rare spider, but the environmental assessment provided by the developer failed to record it.

While the Credit Crunch has delayed the development, it still may go ahead and the important part of the habitat could be lost. The original plan would have left the most sensitive area free of development, but to mitigate the fall in house prices the developer has asked for an amendment to the plans that will now mean building on this sensitive area. Thus while I felt far to tired to go, others were relying on me. Also as first light is the best time to see and catch the spiders so they can be identified, it meant a very early start.

I had already prepared my books and guides, so I was ready when my lift turned up. Once on the site I was enlivened by the task in hand and once I had shown the folks how to catch the spiders, I had my work cut out identifying the spiders. I did have some help in that as I have four books on spiders, but the majority was down to me. We did not find the rare species, so it looks as though the idea of getting the area designated as a Site of Special Scientific Interest, SSSI, is not feasible. But with the diversity there is there, I am sure that a good argument can be made for not building on that land.

In relation to the Badgers though, the picture is so confused that I can not get a clear image of what has happened to the Badgers since the flooding. The problem is that the family grouping have dispersed and it is impossible to work out exactly who is living where at the moment. Add to this the felling work that is going on in the woods has disturbed the badgers regular trails. Also the tracks of the heavy machinery have left some really deep ruts in the tracks in the wood. Therefore, it makes walking at night rather dangerous. This is where the IR camera has really been helpful as with it I have foreseen where the dangers are. Eventually I will discover what the Badgers are doing but for now, I will just have to keep observing and waiting to see what they are doing. However of over forty individuals, I have only been able to find thirteen. While I know that in one of the setts at least one badger drowned, my fear is that the badgers did not fare as well as I first thought.

On a much more positive note, I have taken down the do not disturb sign for this week as the first episode of Tess of the D'Urbervilles is over and it is a very good production. The acting was excellent and the most difficult aspect, was well done, I am looking forward to the next three.


No comments: