Monday 29 September 2008

The Mouse that Never grew up

Now I am the first person to admit that some of the things I do look silly to an outsider. I often do things that parents will tell their kid off for doing, like splashing in ponds, or getting covered in mud. Personally I think that no matter how old I get I will remain immature. Hey I'm a man I think its part of the job description.

So what silly things have I been up to, well it started this morning with my cat waking me at half past four this morning. I would have been happy to stay in bed, but she needed something so I had to get up to see what that was. As she is an older cat at least fourteen, she doesn't always eat all the food put out for her, so to avoid flies laying eggs on her food I give her small but regular feeds. Also, sometimes I don't think that she can always see that there is water there for her. She always puts her paw in the water to find the level. It turned out that she had spilt the water and wanted feeding.

Once I had dealt with her I decided to go out for an early walk. It was still dark but I thought I could catch the early mist on a body of water near here, so I went towards that location. While I was walking there, after a four mile walk, a skein of geese flew over. I don't know what they were, but it is possible that they are returning winter migrants. It was to dark to film them as the sun was still not up, but a delight to see and my imagination ran wild thinking of where they could be from.

Now the body of water I was heading for is on private land and this spring I had asked permission to photograph or film the Grey Herons that have a nesting colony near there and while I have finally got that permission, it came to late to get to the nests this year. However, through the thick and thorny hedge I though I could see a heron standing stock still in the way that they do. So, and this was me acting like a child, I got down on my belly to try and crawl under the hedge. It was not easy, and I kept on having to stop as I really thought I was making a racket. It took me over half an hour to edge myself into position, and all the while the Heron stood there unmoving. I switched the camera on, zoomed in to discover that I had been stalking a stone statue of a Heron. No wonder it hadn't moved. Well feeling more than a little silly, I got up and realised that twenty metres away was a much more accessible gap so at least my exit did not take as long. When I got to the lake, any mist had evaporated anyway.

As I needed to do some shopping today I had to get back home, but while I added glasses to my shopping list, they don't sell them especially for fools to spot statues with.

1 comment:

Nancy said...

That was hilarious. We all make mistakes!

I was taken on a tour of the creek that runs just behind my apartment building by a kindly boatman. What a change! The buildings disappeared and we saw nothing but trees, reeds, and herons and families of hawks and swans! and I am told they catch huge perch in that same creek!
Many Canadians live cheek by jowl with nature, partly because they left greenbelts in all but the most blighted parts of the suburbs...it's great! No stone birds here, so far, though!