Monday 1 September 2008

Wildlife at Home

On Saturday I noticed that a butterfly had come to rest in my bathroom, right in the corner. Had it not been for recharging batteries I would have taken a picture of it. Then when I was in the bath it opened its wings to reveal that it was a painted lady. What a nice way to relax.

Then on Sunday as I was doing the washing up, I was watching the spider that has built her web at my window in the kitchen. She normally only moves to the centre of her orb web at night, but was stirring. As I watched I saw a tiny fruit fly hit the web and she was on the meal in a flash. I could see her with this fly in her fangs. It is not often that you get to see that happening.

Then latter on when the rain started and I was sitting at the old puter, I saw that a fly about the size of a bluebottle had come to rest under the bird feeder. Probably sheltering from the rain. As I was sitting there, I also noticed this juvenile robin turn up. In a remarkable feat of aerial dexterity it took the bluebottle from the base of the feeder.

It never ceases to amaze me what you can see when you look.


No comments: