Saturday 13 September 2008

Hover Fly

For me one of the benefits of the poor weather is that I am able to get on with the cataloguing and editing of my video footage. While I am now very careful to create back ups and back ups of the back ups, I still have thirty five gigabytes of film on the computer. This I can clear only after I have made sure I know what's in each clip and what I am doing with the film. While some of it is for personal use and no matter how much you try and bribe me, it would just bore the socks off you. But as part of my rational for keeping this Web Log is about sharing and education folks about why the Environment matters, I do film with the aim of helping myself and others understand the environment.

Also, I am well aware that often I do film creatures that most people seem to dislike. As in this film of a Hover Fly Sisyphus ribesii. So I do apologise to my reader who has a phobia of anything with more than four legs, or my reader that walks bare foot on snails. However, every aspect of the flora and fauna of the planet has an important part to play in the ecosystem that we rely on. In many cases we don't even know or understand where or why a creature has evolved to fill that niche. Therefore, I will continue to film and show things that fascinate me and if for some they provide the yuck factor, well I am sorry but all these mini beasts are welcome here. Where I don't want them is in my kitchen or on the extinction list.





No comments: