Tuesday 30 September 2008

Urban Wildlife

Sometimes there is a strange syncronicity in the world, just yesterday following my posting regarding my being fooled by a garden ornament, there was a comment from Nancy (hi Nancy), about how important the green places are in her neck of the woods. And at the moment she must have been writing that, I was reading someone else's posting (as this person has an invitation only policy I can not reveal who), about how even living in the city she still can see wildlife in the green places where she is. Now I know that I am lucky as I live in an old mining village that is surrounded by countryside, but that has not always been the case. However, seeing birds or plants has always been important for me no matter where I have lived.

I also think that is one of the reasons why so many people like to have a garden or a window box or planters outside the door, it helps connect them with nature. When my ex and I first moved in together, the first thing we did was to plant up some pots to stand outside the front door. Neighbours told us that they would not last long, but apart from one minor incident where a toddler was picking the flowers, no one touched them. In fact we go buckets of praise for doing it as it helped brighten up everyone's lives.

However my main point here is that no matter where you live there will be somewhere where the wildlife is. This is vital to the spirit of man. (I mean man as the species not gender) I have long thought that when you see the places where there is serious social deprivation and crime, there no flowers. This is not just from seeing these places on the news but from visiting, working and living in such places. Therefore, I think one of the important things that needs to happen to aid the people in these areas is plant flowers, put up hanging baskets, add some colour and joy to peoples lives.

Often on the news and discussions on the radio, I hear the argument that we have a choice between people or wildlife. Personally I think that its the wrong question, it should be about people and wildlife, as the environment matters for people too. As well as the practical aspects that the natural world gives us for free, the human animal can not survive without the natural world.

I still remember the first time I saw a fox cub it was at the end of the platform at Kings Cross station, or the fist time I saw a Kestrel close up, it was nesting on the High Level Bridge in Newcastle. But I get delight from seeing plants that many people think of as weeds, growing on patches of neglected land, adding colour. No matter where you live you can find wildlife, maybe not the spectacular but the joy of hearing a blackbird singing its heart out will always make my day better.


1 comment:

Nancy said...

you are quite right about that...I look at the pretty 'weeds' growing between the train tracks here. Canny Canadians leave them alone. It's nice living in a country that isn't too crowded to allow other things to live. Though it does bring some interesting problems...they have raccoons in the attic instead of squirrels, and I've seen a raccoon the size of a big dog calmly crossing the street in a busy section of downtown Toronto!