Tuesday 2 September 2008

The Power of the Web Log

A number of weeks ago a couple that I know who live in the village asked if they could borrow a couple of books. In part I was to blame as I had opened their eyes to what was in the woods, and they borrowed sixteen books. However, eight of them are books that I most use, so I was feeling withdrawal symptoms.

However, they suddenly found themselves with some major problems with their landlord, so I was not able to get the books back as they busy trying to get things sorted out. Not least of their problems was the landlords mortgage lender seeking to repossess the property. Therefore when I discovered two weeks ago that they had left the property, I was concerned for them and my books.

Well today they gave me a call, they had just got the phone on in their new place. But they had been worried as most of their chattels and my books were still in their old place but they were being refused access to get their possessions. After getting details of the people involved I called the sub humans involved and told them that unless they allowed my friends reasonable access to regain their property I would be calling the police and I would be pressing charges for theft. they said that was not possible but I told them that they were breaking the law.

After calling the police and meeting them at the property with my friends, I called the so called agents again and let the police tell them that they had the power to gain entry to see if an arrestable crime had been committed. In less than twenty minutes they were there with keys. As they had acted without the authority of any court order they (the Agents) may well face charges. I was able to get my books back and following firm words from the police to the agent, my friends were provided keys so they can remove their property.

While it was not a pleasant day it did have a good outcome in the end. No agent can just break and enter a property and change the locks and the police were prepared to arrest the agent for that especially as my friends were able to prove that the rent was paid and up to date. It was just that the landlord wanted to try and sell the property quickly. I also told the agent that I would be posting about his illegal actions and as he knows the power of the internet for his business, he was also aware of the impact it could have had on his business. If in due course he get charged, as may still happen, then he will be named here.

I know that one of my readers has had difficulties with a bad landlord, there is always hope. And talking about readers, one of the aspects of keeping a Web Log and reading others writings and musings is it really helps me to connect with the world. Only yesterday I read a posting by someone who who has relatives in the path of Hurricane Gustav. It brings home to me the reality of such events more than television reports do with all there fancy graphics. I am glad that Gustav has turned out to be less damaging as it could have been. That said it still caused ninety four deaths in the Caribbean.

I am genuinely thinking of you folks out there.


No comments: