Saturday 13 September 2008

Yellow Staghorn

I was pleased with the response to the first of these films. I do intend to get out and film more this autumn, and I do have some other footage that I may be able to use too. I am no expert and I will only post a film if and when I am positive that the information is completely accurate. Therefore, if I have any doubt about what I have identified then I will not include it in this series.

There are a number of fungi that are similar in appearance and this series should not ever be used as a reliable way of identifying any fungi that people are thinking of consuming. There are some excellent books out there so it is far better to obtain one of those. Also there are courses as happens here in Chopwell Wood, where a real expert is on hand to help folks learn. So look out for a course or a walk where you can learn about collecting mushrooms.

I would also hope that people are responsible about not over collecting, as the visible fruiting body is the way that fungi spread their spores, leaving some behind to spread their spores is the only way that they will remain to return. Also only collect what you can use. I know of a few people that will try and take everything they find, and end up throwing out most of what they collected as they just can not cook and eat all of the fungi they harvested.

Most of all, please be safe,
and if you are in doubt about the identification then
don't eat it.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yeah, that is why I only titled the fungii I know in the photos on my blog. I could have looked the others up in a book, but I didn't want to make a fatal error for anyone.

I saw on the news here that a mycologist was going to give a walk/talk and he said that with the wet summer, there are species here in Maine that had never been seen here before! So I wonder if I got some more rare photos unknowingly!!

Please could you post the you tube link for your films? I finally got the stuff for the better comp and will be addressing that tomorrow, so at least I will be able to see them on you tube, and perhaps it might fix the hang up here...although methinks I need a high speed connection to fix that problem. :) Tree